Re: [Roadsters] Beware of parts requests--pls read

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Beware of parts requests--pls read
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:07:17 -0700
Tim,

Thank you for the heads up.  Like you I am not comfortable with financial
transactions, domestic or international, that don't offer me the protection
of confirmed payment before I ship and item.  All of my eBay auctions offer
the option of making payment through PayPal, and I don't bid on an item
unless I can pay using PayPal, or pick it up locally with payment by cash.

We all learn a little more about possible scams now and then.  I have seen
at least one very tempting scam that looked and felt very real, but it came
from Russia.  A friend of mine advertised a room for rent in her home here
in Oregon on Craigslist and almost fell victim to a scam from a lady in the
UK.  Only the weird things she was being asked just before finalizing the
rental agreement moved her to talk to me about the financial deal before she
went ahead with receiving a deposit to be made with an excessively large
check and refunding part of the money back to her new boarder using Western
Union as the transfer agent.

In my reply to Holger's request I suggested he go to 311s.org and register
his car and look for vendors on 311s.org and datsun2000.com.  I also told
him Jon (NOWROC and roadster list member) is a roadster owner in Norway,
thinking they might like to get together and talk roadster now and then.

Now I guess I will have to add unknown roadster owners with similar requests
to my watch list.  New (and long-time sometimes) owners need our help, and
we should give it when we can, but I will add your experience to my watch
list and try to screen them before passing on any similar requests in the
future.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com
http://www.nowroc.org

On 5/9/2008 7:27:23 PM, Tim (tputland@charter.net) wrote:
> I am sure I
> don't need to tell any one this but I am still going to.
>
> When Tom forwarded that part request that he had received, to this list,
it most likely was a scam. I am still seriously hoping it wasn't,
> but read on please.

> don't know if any one else replied to that request for an SRL grill that
came from a "Holger" in Sweden, but I did, in an effort to "help out a
'fellow' Roadster owner".

> Like quite a lot of the rest of you, I have parts to sell to help finance
my addiction/obsesssssion/hobby/etc.

> I wondered if this person was too good to be true since the two grilles I
have are kind of rough and He/She(?) was very interested in one of them. I
named a (reasonable but profitable) price, it was accepted, without
hesitation, and we were working out payment details. I figured since this
person said they were in Sweden, that paypal was the best bet. This person
said they don't