[Roadsters] Harnesses and helmets

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Harnesses and helmets
From: andycost@embarqmail.com
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:56:53 -0500 (EST)
The DOT and Snell ratings are primarily different because of the certification
requirements.  DOT is self certified by the manufacturer.  Snell is a 3rd party
independant certification.  Therefore, DOT certification is not as respected as
Snell.  There is lots of debate over which test method is more safe.  Snell
requires two impacts on the same spot where DOT only requires one.  That
requires the Snell EPS padding to be stiffer or to be twice as thick.  Stiffer
padding equals more impact to your brain.  Regardless of all the arguement I
would remind everyone that the helmet is only designed for a drop from 6 feet
onto the ground.  It is not designed to protect in a collision between the
occupant and items inside the car or between the motorcycle rider and the Buick
that he just rear ended at 30 mph.  Will it help in those situations?  Possibly.

FIA also has a helmet rating system which is highly respected.  Since it is
European you don't see it much here.  You do see FIA rating on harnesses here.

I would suggest that you will not be able to successfully duck in a rollover.
Also, without a good roll bar that attaches to the frame and extends at least
2" above your head you will probably be toast in any roll over situation
regardless of what kind of belt you are wearing.

It was my understanding that seat belts were not mandatory until the late 70's.
 I beleive that you may go without seatbelts in any car before they were
mandatory.  You should be able to install anything you want in those cars.

I like the 5 point harness in my race car because it holds me tight while
cornering.  It takes less effort to control the car if I am not trying to hold
myself in place with the steering wheel and bracing my feet on the floorboard.
I would recommend the 5 point harness for street driving.  The chance of having
an accident where they would cause more harm than good is rare.  Also note that
regular seatbelts are only designed for the 90th % male.  I believe that is 190
pounds and around 5'10".  Is anyone on this list bigger than that?

Andy