Re: [Roadsters] Harnesses, not helmets...

To: <racery@comcast.net>, "roadster list"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Harnesses, not helmets...
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:13:20 -0800
I told my chiropractor I was planning to install a 4 point system with the
shoulder belts mounting on a horizontal bar that is part of the roll bar.
He said he wished every car could be equipped in that manner.  He would have
a lot less work.

I understand why he said that.  In 1969 a lady hit my 68 2L when I was
moving at near 50 MPH.  She caused me to veer to the right and hit a high
curb head-on.  The car just stopped when it hit the curb.  Instantly.  I had
the factory belts on at the time and they held against what was probably a
30-40 MPH impact.  My glasses smashed against the windshield when they left
my face on impact.  I put the top back and stepped over the door and out of
the car once I realized I was still alive.

As a result of hitting the single shoulder harness that hard my chest
cartilage was broken, causing me considerable pain for about a month
afterwards.  After all these years it is possible to irritate my chest and
cause lingering pain for up to a year afterwards.  If I were wearing a pair
of shoulder belts it is likely I would have left the car without any injury
at all.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland