[Roadsters] 5-spd rebuild, 5th gear neutral...[update]

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: [Roadsters] 5-spd rebuild, 5th gear neutral...[update]
From: The Ken Pearce <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:41:14 -0800
Just a quick update on my 5spd rebuild / 5th gear neutral fix...

If you recall, I had trouble getting the locknut on the mainshaft to break
loose.  I just needed a bigger wrench.  After a visit to the local hardware
store and $48 later, I had a 1-1/2" combination wrench.  I enjoy collecting
tools...

I used the 1-1/2" wrench on the locknut and an adjustable wrench with a 3'
steel tube on the main nut.

Pictures!

http://tinyurl.com/284sq9

In the pictures, the mainshaft is on the right side, the counter shaft on the
left.  The reference manual that had the number of teeth for each gear on both
shafts was handy for figuring out which gears are which.  They all have a
unique number of teeth.

I'm still trying to get my head around the "fix" for the 5th gear neutral
problem.  The 5th gear on the main shaft is on needle bearings, but it's
supposed to be held stationary by the locknut????  The heavy tapered washer
that is just inside the main nut has a keyed indentation that goes over a ball
on the shaft (see pics).    The 5th gear (counterpart) on the counter shaft
has heavy splines and I see no possible way for it to be slipping.   So I'm
assuming the "neutral" or slipping part is on the main shaft?

Somebody clue me in...  Or just tell me which parts to get welded...

Thanks for all the help...  Hopefully the pics and the discussion will help
future 5th gear neutral repairs..

Also, anyone that knows where I can source the spring metal "pins" pictured in
the last pic 1211072228.jpg?  A few of them came out in pieces when I was
using a drift to drive them out.

What else should I replace in the trans before going back together?  (Parts
suppliers, do you have gasket kits?)
My trans will pop out of second gear sometimes if I'm getting on the throttle
and not holding the stickshift in, what part causes that?  Synchro?

Ken Pearce
Bellingham, WA
68-2000