[Roadsters] 11-17-07 Georgia Rally (some Roadster/List Member

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] 11-17-07 Georgia Rally (some Roadster/List Member
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:46:23 -0500
Did you all see that the Cannonball Run has a new record? Manhattan, NY to
Santa Monica, CA in 31 hrs 4 min. Here's a link, if you missed it:

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/magazine/15-11/ff_cannonballrun

I had a WONDERFUL day on Saturday driving Loreli through the North Georgia
Mountains with the Georgia Triumph Association and the Georgia Sports Car
Club. Thanks again for the invite Eric! Your Opal GT is SO nice!

You guys would have loved to see the burgundy MG with the Olds F-85 V8
engine and Offenhauser intake paired with a T5 transmission. One incredible
machine! The owner has THOUSANDS of hours into that car from engineering, to
polishing, to fabricating. Even the guy driving the M5 series BMW had a hard
time keeping up with him! At the end (Jerry's Pizza in Dawsonville, GA) he
got out of the Bimmer and said "I can't believe how fast that thing is".
I'll post some pix of the rally after I get em back from the film processor.
I used the 35mm camera instead of the digital.

I'm pretty sure Eric and co-pilot (sorry, I missed her name. or forgot it.
My memory ain't what it used to be) had the high score (low score is
better). I was following him because my co-pilot was my dog Tater. He's a
great mechanic, but can't read maps worth a damn, so was just along for the
drive. The course was to be, at the speed limit, 1hour and 40 minutes for
each leg (begin to midpoint/midpoint to finish). We answered almost none of
the 100 "sign" questions and were at least 30 minutes ahead of schedule on
each leg!!! This = a REALLY bad score, but a HELL of a lot of fun!

I have a new appreciation of what Loreli is capable of. She's my daily
driver and only car so I don't push her TOO hard (she rarely sees 5000 RPM
unless I'm showing off to the "tuners", who hang out at local parking lots
on the weekends, by burning both rear tires (YAY for Posi!). But, she's
going to get some "exercise" this week! I'm driving. the long way. through
North Georgia and North Alabama, to Nashville on Tuesday to be with family
on Thanksgiving. I've allowed myself 10 hours for the 2 hour drive (if I
were driving direct).

I'm to the Chattanooga Region SCCA meeting tomorrow to learn more about
membership. I've got the bug! Dangit. now I need a grocery getter car!

Hoping to meet up with Peter Harrison and TOAD SAN (Eliza) this coming week
on his "coast to coast to coast" trip!

Matt Smith

And Loreli