[Roadsters] FW: X-Country - Need Mechanic in PHX

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: [Roadsters] FW: X-Country - Need Mechanic in PHX
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:38:22 -0500
Now we are on a subject I know, clogged fuel system. If the only change was
new gas, I would guess you got a load of water, or some rust broke loose in
the tank. If you back down on the engine speed, does it run normally?  If it
were me, first one or two bottles of DryGas and I would replace the fuel
filter, pick up 2 more spares.  If you can't find the correct one, get the
clear universal ones, should be 1/4" hose size.  When you have the filter
off, remove the gas cap and blow back through the line, shouldn't be too
difficult and you should be able to hear the bubbles at the filler neck. If
it's REALLY hard to blow back the line and suddenly gets easy, you may have
cleared the clog. I used a piece of metal tubing, hate the taste of gas.
When you stop blowing, it may flow back out, so point in a safe direction or
put right back on the filter.  Put on the new filter and go.  I had to do
this about 8 or 10 times after replacing the fuel tank till all the junk
came out. Run out as much of the gas as you can, or if really worried, stop
in a local service station and get it drained from the plug  or siphon it
out.

Other much more remote possibilities:
1.   I don't know if the 70 had a sealed gas cap, or if all your emmission
stuff is hooked up, but I doubt that's it.  If it was a venting problem, if
you took off the gas cap while the problem was occuring, you would hear it
suck in air.

2.   Fuel pump on the way out, pick up a spare, gaskets and any req'd tools.

3.  Leak in the line between the tank and fuel pump allowing it to suck air,
cracked hose loose clamp etc.

4. Inlet screens on carbs clogged.  You need new copper washers to open up
and check them.  Don't do it on a hot engine, fuel will run onto exhaust.

Best of luck
Dave

Drove from LAX -> PHX - no problem.
Filled up w/Circle K Gas (Premuim) - suddenly in 5th at 4K+ engine starts to

misfire - want to have everything checked out before I drive to the
hinterlands.