Re: [Roadsters] alternator

To: "'Pete Peters'" <ppeters914@comcast.net>, <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] alternator
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:15:29 -0400
Hi All,
Back from Nashville. It was a BEAUTIFUL day in Middle Tennessee for a drive,
and the Styx show on Wednesday was one of the best (I've been to 40 of them
now!).
OK, back to the subject. I recently put in a GM alternator. Actually, I've
put in 4. First one, I wired backwards at the #1/#2 terminals (don't do
this). Second one I bought off eBay. It was a new "one wire" alternator. It
was exactly as described. I didn't do my research. It's not what we need.
It's not set up for remote sensing and the windings are different. I got it
mostly because it was new and had a smaller pulley (don't do this). The
third one was just not working right. I'll either take it back to Pep Boys
or keep it for spare parts (bearings, screws, condenser, brushes). 4th was
from AutoZone.
It's been in for over a week. No problems. Works great, had no issues so far
with power. Lights, stereo, heater, brake lights, AND wipers all work at the
same time at idle without the volt meter going below 12v!
Matt Smith - SEROC