Re: [Roadsters] Gas Tank Strap Broke (left),

To: "Seth Asher" <sasher@olympiawest.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Gas Tank Strap Broke (left),
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@jorsm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:37:44 -0500
--===============1997584780==

    Seth,

I see you have had a number of responses.  The best advice I saw was from
Phil Hall, although the mobile home tie-down idea wasn't bad.

You should replace both of the straps.  While you're at it, check the rear
mounting brackets, which are/were spot-welded to the trunk floor.  No need
to screw around with attaching the tank straps to the frame.  Mine had a
couple of broken spot welds, so I drilled out the broken welds (in my case,
two per side) one at a time and replaced them with either 8-32 or 10-32 SS
pan head screws and washers -- screw heads inside the trunk under the mat.
Use whatever length is required to give you adequate threat engagement
underneath with a flat washer and lockwasher.  Use Locktite red on the
threads.  (Given the cross-section of the small spot welds, 8-32 is probably
OK, and I can't tell from the screw heads just what size they are.  I didn't
crawl under the beast to look.)  I am pretty sure they'll never come loose
again.

Gary Ault