Re: [Roadsters] Muffler heat [was: Hood Muffling Material]

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Muffler heat [was: Hood Muffling Material]
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:05:58 -0400
An afterthought:
For those of you thinking about using this padding under the hood, here's a
tip. When I removed the old jute pad previously installed, I found white
powdery crap and oxidation on the hood above where the battery sits. I
scrubbed it well with a 3/1 paste of baking soda and water to neutralize the
acid. I painted the area with Rustoleum to stop the oxidation (so it
wouldn't go thru the hood, and then put on the new pad. The new pad is
non-porous and will act as a vapor barrier so it shouldn't happen again.

Thanks!
Matt Smith
And Loreli (she's a '70 Silver Solex).

P.S.
I know my 2000 doesn't have this pad...I drove it with out the driver's seat
earlier this summer, not very far but still got a hot ass. ouch
Tim

No Drivers seat? Hey, maybe I'll finally get the leg room I desperately
need! Not only that, but being single, I need a hot ass... and driving is
much more fun than working out!
My seat mounts have already been moved back 2 inches. I can't go any farther
back with the roll bar in place. The 13" Grant steering wheel gave me the
belly room I also needed.