Ignition (was: charging system 1966 1600)

To: karl mainord <jetteboy2002@yahoo.com>
Subject: Ignition (was: charging system 1966 1600)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:39:52 -0800
> Hi guys and gals, I have a 66 1600 with a charging problem...

What exactly is the problem?

, I was having this problem last year, so I changed the battery, cables, volt
age regulator and alternator. this seemed to solve it for about 6 months t
hen the same problem came back. What am i not seeing?  also

> ...i purchased a electronic ignition kit off eBay, the add said early
> roadster, but when i got it is says for 68-77 on the back.

Hmmm, a '77 Roadster? :-)
All Roadster distributors are basically identical. Different advance
weights, the Solex is sans vacuum advance, but dimensionally
they're the same. IF (big if) this kit fits a '68 then it will fit a '66.

The 'except CA' comment is likely 'cause in that general time
period the CA cars got dual-point smog distributors that the rest
of the country didn't see. Early '70s was a weird time, smog-wise.
You had '49 state' cars and 'California' cars.

GARY: Start building your electronic distributors again. There's
a need out here!!! :-)

-- John