Re: Changing body panels

To: Tim Putland <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters:
Subject: Re: Changing body panels
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:48:46 +0000
Sure.  In fact, it's better to change panels with the car together and sitting
on its wheels-
or at least supported at the suspension points.  The body is pretty flexy, so
when it's
being modified, you run the real risk of distorting it.  The frame helps reduce
that.
Plus, you want door gaps and stuff to look their best when the car's on its
wheels!

When I swapped, I had a used fender, and I changed it by using just the outer
skin.  In
retrospect, it would have been better to swap the inner and outer, especially
since my
wheelarch was bent up a bit anyway.  I also left the taillight leading
together, and spliced the
rear panel a couple of inches to the inside- it fixed damage and took a LOT
less time!

Sorry, no pics- this was before they'd invented cameras...  I did, at least,
have a MIG

hth,
Toby
From: Tim Putland  <tputland@charter.net>