Late model key blanks, an update

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late model key blanks, an update
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:14:02 -0800
Hey all,
A few things to clarify on the key blanks I offered.

1.  I don't have sets of keys.  I have ignition blanks only.  They are
for late model cars only.  They won't work on trunks, and I have never
had a key for my doors so I couldn't tell ya on that score.
2.  they do actually have Datsun molded on one side of them, although
the printing is very shallow (it is raised, not imprinted)
3.  the link has a pic of the key blank next to my existing roadster
key.  (please don't take this to the locksmith and ask him to make one
just like the picture!)  There is a quarter in the picture for size
reference.  (a quarter is very close to an inch in diameter)
4.  When I took these to the local Ace hardware, they had no problem
cutting them.  What did happen was the std key machine cuts the trace
but doesn't but any excess off the end (and they line up the heads, not
the tails in the machine)  Hence, the new key ended up ~1/8 too long,
and contacted on the end when inserted, keeping it from working.  When I
held it up to the other, I realized this and took it to a grinder and
removed the excess, worked fine after that.  (easy way to identify the
exact excess is line up the keys and hit the existing key side of this
pairing with a short blast from a spray paint can)

http://public.fotki.com/FergusO/misc-car-pics/keyblankcomparisonpic.html

So now, I have a list (and quite a long one) of reponses, in the order
received.
Please respond if you DO NOT want a blank, and I'll remove ya from the
list.

Thanks,
Fergus O
69 2000, HB, CA