transporting a rear clip - part two

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: transporting a rear clip - part two
From: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 22:49:16 -0400 (EDT)
--- tputland@charter.net wrote:

> Thank You.
> He wanted "the opinions of the more experienced guys on this list!"
> Anyone could tell him that...I just didn't want to be the one to tell
> him this as I am not "more experienced"...LOL
> Tim

I received many helpful, detailed replies from people, some of them
off-list. Thanks very much. I asked for experienced opinions because I
wanted to get an idea of what a rear clip actually weighs. The consensus
is: a rear clip is light enough to be tied to the roof of a Taurus wagon,
but a trailer would be a safer, less worrysome solution - a no brainer
perhaps, but it's always better to ask questions ahead of time than to
suffer later. I'm still hoping for a reply to the second half of my
original question if someone would be kind enough: on a car with a full
frame like the Datsun, is there any structural disadvantage to welding on
an entire clip with the weld behind the seats? In other words, is it
better to weld on new quarter panels than a whole rear clip?

Thanks,
-Brian Reynolds
Toronto