Re: losing hats

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: losing hats
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 06:33:33 -0700
Hoon,
Couple of ways to not lose your hat.
1. if it is a baseball hat, turn it backwards.  Disadvantage to this is,
if it is sunny, after 45 minutes you have a tan line on your forehead
that looks like a 1/2 slice of baloney
2. buy hats with chinstraps, or in cold weather, with a real small brim.
(greek sailor hats are my choice, although people keep telling me I look
like a pipe tobacco ad every time I wear it)   Bicyclist caps are good
for this, kind of a TouDeFrance look.
Regarding the wind-deflector, I have seen this done a few ways.  3/8"
plywood, which was quite ugly, plexiglass bolted to the rollbar, and the
most clever and nice-looking was a NorCal'er at Solvang this year, who
had one made of soft-top vinyl and window material, that fit over both
headrests, had a window in the center, and snapped down at the base of
the seats.  There are some ideas on Miata.net on these, as the early
ones had none.
Without a rollbar, I thought of cutting plexi into a large t-shape,
drilling holes where it overlapped the headrests, and then
bungee-cording it to the headrests and seat bases.  I thought of this
because the one time I drove to Solvang at nite, I realized I would
never get the wife to volunteer for that again, as I am sans heater and
you get pretty chilly with the turbulence whipping around your legs.
Just a few ideas, Fergus O