need advice on checking charging system

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: need advice on checking charging system
From: Mtbdavid2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:14:45 EDT
Hi all,
  I have a feeling my charging system is not working correctly.   I have a
brand new battery, fairly new gear reduction starter and a new  alternator.
After driving a while and then turning off the motor it has  trouble
restarting.
If I start the car and disconnect the negative cable  to the battery the car
immediately dies.  I put a voltmeter on the battery  before starting it I
register about 13 volts and I get the same with the car  running.  How do I
test
the charging system?  Is there something else  besides the alternator that
could be bad such as a voltage regulator or is the  voltage regulator attached
the alternator?  I have a new GM alternator.  Is it possible there is a wiring
problem which I can test?  Any help would  be appreciated.

Regards,
David