RE: '69 fuse/blinker woes, latest chapter

To: "'Stephen Wan'" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>,
Subject: RE: '69 fuse/blinker woes, latest chapter
From: "Joe Russo" <jrusso07@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:19:44 -0400
Fergus and list

Here is another possible lead...
I had a recent, similar problem with my 70 SPL311.  The headlight fuse got
hot when the lights were on but wouldn't blow the fuse - I only noticed
because the cover of the fuse box was melted...that's another story.  After
troubleshooting, (for an hour or so) I traced it to the rheostat (err, that
is variable resistor) used to dim/brighten the dash lights.  It was set at
full brightness, and the dash lights and head lights worked (although not
really that bright) but was drawing a lot of current - not a hard short but
certainly a lot lower resistance to ground then what was intended. All I did
was turn it down a few degrees and all is fine (moved it off the "bad"
spot).  I suspect a couple of shorted windings on the rheostat at the high
end of the range.  I need to remove the rheostat (also called a
potentiometer or "pot" for short) and check it out for good...

Joe
70 SPL311 (U20 Mod)
72 240Z
72 Triumph GT6