Re: brake drum & caliper refinishing

To: "James Hoffman" <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: brake drum & caliper refinishing
From: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:39:43 -0500
Plasti-Kote makes a paint called Rebuilder's Cast Gray #285. It is "rated"
500 degrees, resists oil, brake fluid, & gasoline. It's $5 or $6 at Carquest
or Baxter's Auto Supply. It looks very much like cast iron, and there is the
other color called Rebuilders Cast Alminum. See this link:
http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/auto/template.jsp?searchcode=RES&product=Rebuilder

I've tested it and I can tell you, it is extremely durable when applied over
media blasted parts and is indeed resistant to auto chemicals and gasoline.
It didn't stick well to a fan shroud that I blasted and then PRIMERED. It
does best over blasted raw steel or blasted steel that's been treated with
the zinc corrosion inhibitors.

I used this paint on all of my front end parts, the rear drums and backing
plates, and get this; the flat metal dash, radio console and shift plate.
IMHO, it looks awsome with chrome trim!
Mike Hudson  '67-1600