Re: rear axle

To: Shaun <toolmansj@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: rear axle
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:03:35 -0600
Shaun,

That sounds like a good bet, but first something you didn't mention. Is
the trans in neutral (or the drive shaft disconnected)?  If the answer
is yes to either of these, then there is something either tight or
broken in the differential. If the opposite wheel spins the opposite
direction, then the input shaft or carrier is tight. If the opposite
wheel doesn't spin, then the axle you are turning, or the differential
gears (excluding ring and pinion) are some how messed up.

Either way you will have to pull the rear end to find out. You will have
to drain the fluid and remove both axles and the drive shaft. After
that, it is just a matter of removing the nuts that hold the
differential into the rear axle housing. Oh, it would be a good idea to
clean the dirt and grease off of the areas near where the differential
comes out of the axle assembly first!

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --