First drive!

To: "dusty smith" <northof51@shaw.ca>,
Subject: First drive!
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:06:46 -0800
Got the car running well enough that I thought I would take it up & down the
block.

Works GREAT!! Transmission shifts beautifully! Throttle is very "crisp" as is
the exhaust note!

I still have a couple of bugs to work out.
- Oil leak that I thought was my VR sensor looks like it is actually the oil
pan gasket, hopefully just a loose bolt or two.
- Tach reading doesn't seem quite right, but I could be wrong. Seems to climb
too fast. Have to figure a way to check it.
- Speedo didn't work? I'm not sure where I went wrong on this one. ( Classic
Instruments electronic gauges )
- Have to align the body so the tires don't rub the wheel wells.

- Can't seem to get the idle below about 1000 rpm. and it is rougher than I
like but don't know if that is due to the 270* cam. Set the 1600 carb
nozzles to .093 (following the writeup on 311s.org) and balanced the air using
a synchrometer. I was hoping for a relatively smooth idle at about 800 rpm.

Hopefully with another couple of sunny weekends I'll be able to get these
things sorted and start driving it on a regular basis.

Details of the build as of today:

'66 1600
R16 block, G15 crank, 1600 rods, custom pistons (1800 cc  ~9.2:1
compression).
Aluminum Head, ported, oversize valves.
Stock SU carbs, intake (so far - soon efi)
Megajolt Lite Jr / Ford EDIS ignition.
14" Electric fan.

'84 Datsun deisel p/u 5 spd bellhousing (modified).
'92 Nissan 240SX 5 spd, 5th changed to .833 (from .759:1)
Shortened driveshaft.

Till next time.......
Cheers
Daryl