RE: Rust removal

To: <Keith0alan@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rust removal
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:02:10 -0800
Thanks for the good info Keith! I let the process run overnight, with a
trunk lid brace component in the plastic tub. I had dents at the back of
the trunk lid, hard to get at due to the cross bracing inside. Also a
ridge of rust at the lower edge on the inside. So I used my air chisel
to take off the internal bracing. The factory inner areas were unpainted
and were heavily rusted. Yech! Way to much work to sand and grind the
rust off by mechanical methods, so I checked into other means.

The brace is about 5 x 33 inches, and more than half of the length fit
in the tub. When I pulled it out today, all the rust was gone on the
side in the water facing the positive sacrifice plate. There was a light
black covering on the formerly most heavily rusted areas. It did remove
a lot of rust on the side facing away from the positive plate, but not
all. Saved me a lot of manual work. I'll add more baking soda and see if
it works faster on the other end of the brace. When I weld it all back
together I'll have the knowledge that it's rust-free.

Fred Katz - So.SF
BADROC
'70 1600 Blondie (undergoing cosmetic fixes)
'66 2L Lucie