RE: rust paranoia (plus videos!)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rust paranoia (plus videos!)
From: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jbtool.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:23:50 -0500
Eric,

As a Midwesterner in the US, I am terrified to expose my Datsun to
water.  Those that did no longer have a Datsun to drive.  As a well
regarded Z restorer explained, as long as your car is exposed to an
environment with greater than 0 percent humidity, it is rusting.  In any
case, the Roadster suffers from multiple design flaws that accelerate
rust.  One of which is the horsehair padding between the body and the
frame.  These pads hold water (collected when driving in rain) and rust
the body and frame (I had holes in each, thanks to the pads).  As for
the body drain holes, I had complete rust through inches from the body
drain holes.  On my car, they seemed useless.  The front fender to sill
mounting location doesn't stand a chance.

Even though I've worked tirelessly to rid my '68 of rust and protect it
from future rust, I will avoid getting it wet as much as possible.

As for Waxoyl, I have a Maxima treated with that product, and it is the
rustiest car I've ever owned.  Subframe rust so bad the rear sway bar
broke away from its mounting.  Wheelwell rust so bad that tire noise is
literally in the cabin.  Door rust so bad there is not enough door left
to turn off the interior light switch.

When I drive my Z to work, I joke that it better not rain because all I
would have left in the parking lot is a pile of rubber, glass, and a big
brown spot.

Properly applied POR-15 is a pretty fine solution to arrest rust.

Here are a series of videos about a "rust free 240Z on eBay":
http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/wmv/

I am amazed by the lengths we go to save a Datsun.  This guy well
surpasses my 30 patch panels.

Have fun!

Eric A. Isaacson
Fort Wayne, Indiana