The "R" LIVES!!!

Subject: The "R" LIVES!!!
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 22:13:15 -0400
This past Saturday was spent finishing up and testing the completely new,
custom wiring harness.  A couple of SNAFU's encountered - Couldn't understand
why I had power to circuits that were supposed to be switched, even with the
master feed off.  After rechecking the panel wiring, tracingcircuits, and
general head scratching, I was finally able to track it down by removing all
the constant power connections, only to find the cross connection was still
there.  Popped the front off the fuse portion of the panel, and sure enough,
there were internal buss connections BETWEEN some of the fuses on the Volvo
panel.  Never thought to check for that on the bench when I was diassembly the
original wiring, since each fuse had its own, color-coded feed.... snipped out
a section of the buss straps to isolate each fuse.

Once I got that sorted out, I was ready to crank it, only to have fuel come
flooding out the top of the carb.  Holley fuel regulator pressure was scrap -
no variance from full 12lbs regardless of adjustment screw position.  No tears
or holes in the diaphram, so it must be a defect in the valve body.  Quick
trip to Summit Racing for a replacement, and of course the new one had
different mounting holes.....

Around 10PM EST the "R" came alive.  Timed it, played with the advance curves
on the HEI, and its running great - neighbor's pets and small children ran for
their lives!  Woke up Sun. with a hangover from the celebration.  Its running
a tad rich ( better that than the alternative for a new motor), so I'll have
to play with the carb a bit after its broken in.

Tomorrow night is fill & bleed the brakes, mount the windshield frame and
install weatherstrip.  Fri. and Sat. morning will be some remaining assembly,
final shake down and then it hits the road, after 4 years of work.

Nothing new on the website as of yet - been too busy wrenching ;-)
Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/