Re: cylinder head work

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cylinder head work
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:04:36 -0800
I'm with Keith on this one, that really doesn't look that bad.
 When they are installing a new valve seat and have the old one out (or
when the old one is still in and they can 'nick' away at it without
worrying about damage) a good machine shop will smooth that out.  Having
rebuilt a VW and had the unfortunate experience of dropping a washer
into the intake while it was on the bench, and having it chopped up and
mashed into a new set of heads, the machine shop smoothed the head and
piston crown so that, as they said, 'there wouldn't be any pre-ignition
from the unsmooth area overheating and becoming an alternate ignitor for
entering fuel'.  As far as the piston, 0.5 mm is only .020", any experts
know how thick a std piston crown is? (Hey Victor, I bet you have one
you could measure REAL easy!)  It looks like a little smoothing so that
the transition into and out-of the damage is gradual would get you back
on the road the easiest.  Doing that grinding while it was still in the
car would be a challenge.  Better go see Mike...  Fergus O, with the 17
cent advice, HB, CA