voltage regulator: number of pins & gender?

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: voltage regulator: number of pins & gender?
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:39:15 -0800
Discovered the PO had mickey-moused some ancient Mitsubishi
alternator/regulator in my '66 1600. Since I rec'd a new rebuilt alternator
w/ the car, I figured I would just swap 'em out.

In the Roadster Parts Manual, there are three part numbers for voltage
regulators. Two of 'em are NLA, but the third was good, so I ordered one
from my local Nissan dealer.

However, when I picked it up yesterday, the part number was replaced and the
$35 quote went to $125!!!!!  Even worse, the end plug doesn't match. The
alternator has a square, 4-pin male connector, and the regulator has a
rectangular, 6-pin male connector, like this regulator on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=451174010
8&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

The wiring diagrams all kinda look it should be 4-pin, but I am wondering if
the later model roadsters used a 6-pin connection.

I know that many of you will just say "quit worrying about it and go w/ the
GM alternator conversion", but I'm just curious at this point.

Oh, and if anyone wants to throw a spare voltage regulator my way......<g>

Thanks

                        `  ___  '
Pete                   -  (O o)  -