Re: Alloy Wheel rust removal

To: <TWFAUST@aol.com>, Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alloy Wheel rust removal
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:52:49 -0500
> Tom Faust

> I appreciate the replies so far, but I think my question was confusing. The
> rust on the wheel is from metal deposits left by brake pads being run down to
> the metal. The wheels themselves are painted aluminum Minilites.

Tom,

I'd be more concerned about the type of finish you're planning for the
wheels. If you plan on stripping them down to bare metal and repainting them
you have more options and less concern about how you get the old paint and
stains off the wheels.

If you're trying to get the stains off without messing up the paint you may
be up the well know creek because the stains more than likely have soaked
into the paint. If you try to paint over most stains they usually bleed
through. You might try cleaning and then sealing what's there prior to
painting them, but the stains may well still bleed through. They can be that
stubborn, believe me.

I guess a lot depends on what you what to do with the wheels and how much
time and effort you want to invest in them.

HTH,
Ron