Re: Volvo Brake conversion - worth it?

To: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Volvo Brake conversion - worth it?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:44:25 -0700
Some things not mentioned in Lou's reply, though it still may not change
the numbers significantly:

The Datsun calipers are a big hunk of metal and should only require
replacement if they are broken.  The pistons are what do the work and
they are completely replaceable.  They are more expensive but still
available and can be resleeved (again more $$) so they can be rebuilt.
Many cars, much larger and heavier than ours, have single piston front
brakes that have a sliding caliper.  Is the number of pistons the
important factor, or is it the brake pad area, or is there a calculation
of pad area vs. vehicle size/weight, etc.  Did the old Studebakers and
Jags use the same size pads and pistons as us?
The Volvo conversion requires machining the rotors.  How much does this
cost?
What other adapters, lines, etc., are required to attach the Volvo
calipers, and how much do they cost?
For early Roadsters, do you need a proportioning valve (is that the
right term?) to avoid too much braking action in the front or rear?