Lowering Miata Seats?

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lowering Miata Seats?
From: "Eric Hankinson" <eric@railpros.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:30:13 -0700
Hello List,

I just put Miata seats in my '69 Roadster last week.  I must agree with
all the pundits that the Miata seats are truly superior to the stock
seats with respect to comfort and lower back support.  However, I think
I am sitting a little too high.  I have read that the Miata seats are
about 1" higher than the stock seats.  Since my stock seats were
horribly broken down, I think I am more like two inches higher than I
was before.  I feel more wind and I feel more roll in the corners.  I am
only 5'-9", but I have short legs (29") and thus a long torso.

So my question for the list is:  Has anyone out there lowered the miata
seats successfully?  The only way I can see that lowering can be
accomplished would be to nix the seat tracks and bolt the seats directly
to the floor.  In order to do this, the bottom of the bulged steel seat
pan (not the car's floor pan) would need to be cut away since the seat
pan extends lower than the bolts that connect the seat to the rails. I
suppose cutting out the middle of the seat pan will weaken the seat
somewhat.  I got the seats for a steal on Ebay, so I suppose it will not
be a huge loss if I inadvertently destroy them.  Any input would be
greatly appreciated.

Option 2:  Other seats?  Anyone on the list had experience with other
seats in a roadster that sit lower than the miata seats?  I know that
CDM and others sell the Corbeau seats.  Does anyone have Corbeau seats
in their roadster? Do you like them?  Do they sit as low as the stock
seats?

Thanks,

Eric Hankinson

1969 2000