Re: Alternator swap

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alternator swap
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:49:25 -0700
Last week's garage adventures:

I took the alternator back to Autozone and exchanged it. Apparently the $20
alternator w/ 1 yr warranty was only rebuilt to replace broken parts where
as the $49 one w/ a lifetime warranty has all it's guts replaced.  I decided
to upgrade and the guy behind the counter took the returned alternator as
the core.
I replaced the alternator and my charging system is working like it should.
Fergus if you're working on the swap this weekend I can still drop by (If
Fiona isn't keeping you too busy :)

On another note, the roadster is seems to be running lean on the top end
again, a little hesitation when lightly accelerating at freeway speeds
(4k+). Pull the choke and the power comes back. So I swapped needles again
to a thinner profile and all is well.  I'm begining to wonder if it's
something else.  I think the next step is to check the fuel floats.

I'll also try to bolt the rollbar in this weekend.  It seems like I'll have
to drill new holes into the rear deck.

As far as the 2 Integra's I have.  My wife's car that blew a head gasket
back on July 4th is running again wth new rings and valve stem seals.  3
months and it's finally out of my garage.
My other one with a stumbling idle is still a mystery.  I rebuilt an old
distributor with 2 working ignitors and it stumbles even worse.  Not
intemittently at idle, but it chainsaws as I accelerate.  I checked it per
the manual and the voltage between the coil terminals are out of spec. 1.2v
instead of  .6-.8v.  Next step is to check the coil that currently runs to
see what that voltage is.  I'll replace it if is, and hopefully the
stumbling goes away.

Steve 70' 1600