Re: Volvo brakes help

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Volvo brakes help
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:08:53 -0700
Hey Paul, (ref. questions below)
1. this is not only okay, but necessary.  remember the discs get heat cycled,
so grow/shrink in diameter on a regular basis.  you never want pads to be
contacting the edge of the disc, even if it is no longer the as-cast surface.
(yours are probably much smoother on the edge now that they have been machined
down)
2&3. these are probably better answered by those more familiar with the install
hardware, I would recommend contacting Steve Allen on his 311s.org site.  In
terms of #3, that may be enough (if you make it 1/8 clearance the disc/pad
number in #1 will be flush to each other) but if that rotor grows under heating
and contacts the caliper (and potentially only on one side) you might be in for
a not-so-nice event (binding) at the least desirable time. (when brakes are
hottest, probably when you need them the most)

Subject: Volvo brakes help
1) I had the disc diameter reduce about 1/16" but the diameter of the disc goes
past the pads about 1/16". Is that ok ?
2) The pins that hold the pads inplace have clips. How should they be installed
and is there any improvements ?
3)  The diameter of the disc is very close to the body of the volvo caliper.
Should I have the disc diameter reduced another 1/16" of an inch ?