wheelcomponents.com lugnut failure?

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: wheelcomponents.com lugnut failure?
From: "ambradley@frontiernet.net" <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:16:30 +0000
I just had my Nissan factory alloy wheels mounted on my 411 using the
wheelcomponents.com short/fat shank lugnuts.  Of the 20 I purchased
(just to have a few extras), three of them busted off while being
torqued.  The first was to 75lbs, the other two to about 55-65 lbs.
First, what should our wheels be torqued to on these cars?  And second,
shouldn't a modern lugnut take much more torque than that?

The failure occurred between the head and the shank portion, the shank
being completely torn from the head of the bolt.  Fortunately we were
able to remove the shank portion because it doesn't bottom out on the
wheel, rather than torque occurs on the lug nut head making contact
with the shoulder of the wheel.  This is how it's supposed to be for
this type of lugnut, isn't it?  I was told the shank shouldn't bottom
out - is that correct?