[tech] 5 speed countershaft question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [tech] 5 speed countershaft question
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:59:30 -0700
Has anyone disassembled the countershaft in a 5 speed?
Specifically, I managed to pull the front bearing (after applying
dry ice to the shaft) and now need to pull the driven (aka 4th)
gear. The diagrams indicate it just slides onto the shaft and is
indexed with a pair of keys. It appears to only go on from the
front, so it 'should' just pull off. But that pup is darn tight! Is there
something I'm overlooking (yes I pulled the snap ring!)? Is this
some sort of 'one-time-assembly' that doesn't come back apart?

Before I apply brute-force with a hefty gear puller and risk breaking
the gear, I'd really like to find out if this is how it comes apart!

Note: the countershaft and main shaft are still secured in the
adapter plate. If I can remove this 'front' gear on the countershaft,
then I can separate the input shaft from the output shaft, and then
I can disassemble the gear clusters 'til I get to the worn-out 2nd
gear synchro. For the work so far, I think I should have just practiced
my double-clutching :-)

-- John

p.s. I've found that when Nissan designed the 5 speed, it was
a huge improvement over their 4 speed. Many of the 4 speed 'weak
spots' (countershaft needle bearings, drilled shift rod) were
re-engineered and eliminated.