0.030" (0.75mm) - over pistons?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 0.030" (0.75mm) - over pistons?
From: "Paul Reed" <datsunspl@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:55:47 -0700
I purchased a '68 1600 that wasn't running.  The previous owner turned it
over, and even briefly got it going, but it was obvious that it had a blown
head gasket.  The car had been professionally rebuilt 10,000 miles ago, but
had been parked for the last five years.

I thought no -problem - I'll just throw in a new head gasket and be on the
road.

When putting on the head gasket, I inspected the bores.  At 0.030" over
(0.75mm).  They still had the cross-hatch on them, with virtually no ridge.
The head and block were flat.

However, when I finally started the car, it only had about 85 lbs compression
in three of the cylinders, the fourth was about 140.

I took it apart again, this time pulling the pistons - the landings were all
cracked or broken between the compression rings!

I don't know for sure what could have caused this - poor quality aftermarket
pistons, pre-detonation, excessive RPM or poor start-up procedure after five
years of sitting - whatever; doesn't matter now, they're shot.

I hate to re-bore the engine to 0.040" and buy new pistons at $400/set, so I
thought I would put the question out to the group first:

Anyone happen to have any new or used 0.030" pistons (in good shape) they want
to part with?

Thanks in Advance,

'68 SPL