Re: "Hybrid Cars" - warning: rant

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Hybrid Cars" - warning: rant
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:52:18 EDT
ppeters914@comcast.net writes:
Looks like a good one to let pass by, especially after viewing those Shasta
pics.
and Andrew noted:

"It's very interesting to see these cars. One wonders how they came to be
like this."

<soapbox=on>

 ** Good golly  - I know **exactly** how a car gets this way... someone LOVED
it enough to make it drive !!!  Its red, its shiny, it runs, it drives, it
looks pretty damn good in the pictures. Someone liked it enough to keep in the
the family for 16 years... I remember 16 years ago... no major internet
resources... no data bases telling us what what right/wrong.... heck.... NO
support
from the local Nissan dealear.... the only thing we may have had was a coveted
copy of the Rallye catalog, or a typed-out copy of the Datsun Roadster Review
from Ross.  Ya did what ya could. I'd be proud to drive around in a little gem
like that..... oh yeah... isn't "making things work" part of the whole
sporting-car heritage ???...... Be honest..... if you saw that car pulling in
at the
petrol station wouldn't you say " oh cool !!!" and strike up a friendly
conversation... or would you just sit there and tell the guy what a horribly
incorrect monstrosity it is?!?!?  (Almost afraid to ask that question these
days on
the list!) Does it really matter what the shift plate looks like?? - it HAS a
shift plate - wow ! If you just take it out and drive, the only real thing
anyone will notice is the big grin on your face !!! Whoever buys that car is
gonna have a lot of FUN - ain't that really what it's all about ?!?!?!?

.... remembering what a high-strung bunch the jag XKE owners were.... trying
to give themselves a stroke over the fiddly-est of "correct" details -
"Jubilee" hose clamps, "Otter" switches. $750 crescent wrenches for the
toolkit...
gah !!! .... prolly the same sort of folks who watch baseball solely for the
statistics !!!!

<soapbox=down>

"If you drive fast enough, nobody will notice the little shit."
and never forget
"Rockchips are sexy"
Laurie :-)
'70-SPL311