RE: Can I recurve distributor, "rejet" carbs and KEEP smog

To: "'Bill Engelhardt'" <bengelhardt@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Can I recurve distributor, "rejet" carbs and KEEP smog
From: "Brian Hollands" <bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:15:45 -0400
Yes you can.  Re-curving the distributor is done to make the engine run.
The smog distributors just use severely retarded timing at idle to meet
emissions regs at idle.  You still have the same total advance as a
properly timed non-smog engine..  The problems arise when folks advance
the timing at idle to make the car run without re-curving the
distributor so that they wind up with 50 degrees of total advance - way
too much.
As for the smog pump, keeping is the environmentally friendly thing to
do as the alternative is chucking it in a landfill (where it belongs).

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
web.Tampabay.rr.com/oilleak