Re: cool fan, need help

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cool fan, need help
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:14:35 GMT
Hardened material huh?  I have not tried yet, but I will report back
on cutting the shaft... got a hacksaw and a few cutting
wheels... we'll see!  Update: OK, I have found the fan and the car (or
I should say those on the list did!): As indicated, it is a Hyundai
Elantra with the twin cam 16 valve engine, '92 and '93 for sure (not
sure on other years).  I think they made a version without the twin
cam and that is what threw me off yesterday.  The good news is that I
got 3 fans today... one I gave to my friend Tom in payment for some
brake work he is doing for me.  That leaves two fans, one which may go
on my own 2000 if I can figure out how to mount it on the modified rad
frame I have.  The other will be for sale as part of a kit.  The bad
news is that the wrecking yard guys knew how much the fan costs new
and at first wanted to charge me $65 per fan!  I told them I paid $25
for the last one at a different yard.  "They're at least $150 new"
they said (shit!).  We went round and round, and I finally agreed to
$45 per fan (I kinda had to, as they were gonna stick with the $65 if
I only bought one which I had to have, and I had gone through all the
trouble and the long drive out there to pull them, etc... bastards).
So, what I will do is make one or two kits and put them together for
sale.  I am not looking to make money here... more to just help out
other Roadster folks who want electric fans.  The kit will include an
adjustable fan switch, all the bolts and spacers, etc.  You will have
to pull your rad and drill one hole and wire the thing up... pretty
simple.  Whoever wants it pays for shipping.  I'm thinkin around $80
plus shipping or so, maybe more or less depending upon the cost of the
fan switch.  Let me know if you are interested... first come first
served, and remember I cannot guarantee it will fit a 2000 yet (but it
should, and if it does not I will refund the money minus shipping).
But now we know, and who knows, you might get lucky and find a yard
that will sell the fan to you for $25 like my first one and you can
put together your own kit.  I will take some pics at some point so
that people can see how it looks for future reference.  Oh, and I
looked at my fan again and realized that it was on the passenger side
that I had to add the length of flat metal to mount the bottom ear.
Don't worry, the kit will all make sense.  Again, thanks to all on the
list who helped out!

Greg