Dim headlight: start with the easy stuff

To: gregs672liter@netzero.net
Subject: Dim headlight: start with the easy stuff
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:58:17 -0400
The logical place to start is in the place that wears, which is the
headlight relay.
You can carefully pry the tin lid off this, and check the contacts inside,
maybe clean them
up with a nail file.  Put everything back together and make sure the
connections to the relay
are tight and good, including the place where the wires are crimped onto
their
connection ends.  You might try soldering these crimps for extra insurance.
If this dosnt fix it, you will need to move into the more esoteric stuff.
Good Luck!
Jim
Chesapeake, Virgainia

>From: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
>To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>Subject: Dim headlight
>Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 06:14:12 GMT
>
>Greetings list, I need assistance with a dim passenger side headlight on a
>'69 1600.  I have cleaned all contacts, checked wiring harness (unwrapped
>the tape for a ways looking for burnt wires), cleaned relay etc.  Driver's
>side lamp is normal.  When I check the output for the passenger side, the
>volt meter shows 11.15 volts at BOTH hot wires when not connected to the
>lamp (I have noticed that sometimes it is much less, like 3 volts, but the
>next time I check and it is back to 11+).  While holding the volt meter to
>the wire and then touching the lamp contacts so it lights up (headlamp
>loose, not in it's mount, so it is just wire to lamp), volts drop to 7.60
>or so and lamp is dim.  This does not happen when I do this on the driver's
>side.  If I switch on the high beams, the lamp goes even dimmer.  All other
>lights work (turn, brakes, side markers, etc.) but the license plate lights
>and back up lights are not currently hooked up (in case that makes any
>difference).  I am using!

Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/