Re: More Clutch Questions

To: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Subject: Re: More Clutch Questions
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:27:47 -1000
Ron:

Good point.  I wonder how *bad* a rear  main bearing leak would need to be, to
affect clutch performance?  Certainly, it's something to seriously consider,
with slippage after only about 16K miles.

I suspect that most of us roadster owners are 'running around' with some degree
of leaking from the rear main.  In my own case, I suspect that that my oil
usage of about one qt./500mi. is largely leakage, from the rear seal, and other
less likely places.  No particular evidence of 'burning' by exhaust color, or
oily residue in the exhaust.  (My garage floor also gives evidence of leaks
;-)  ).

I replaced 3/4's of my rear main seal about 60-70K miles ago, in the course of
a clutch job (I was too 'daunted' by the chance that I couldn't get the top
part of the rope seal back back in - in the time I had available, to attempt
that part).   Oil 'usage', noticeably, did decrease at that time, but is now
back to about the previous amount.

I guess that I'm 'just hoping' that a rear main seal leak would have to be
pretty bad, before that could be the cause of clutch slippage, particularly
since I've just completed a clutch replacement - and didn't even think of doing
the main seal that time!  (Too many other things 'on my plate' last year.)

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona