racecar update

Subject: racecar update
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:15:32 -0400
Greetings all-

In preparation for the 2004 racing season, I took a day to test my 1600
at Waterford Hills, my local track.  There have been significant
changes to the car over the winter, and I wanted to get some seat time
before racing started in earnest.  I also knew it would be time well
spent in debugging the car.  Some of the changes I made over the
winter:
Full floating rear axle, with disk brakes
Three piece 15" wheels and Goodyear slicks
Wilwood clutch/brake pedal assembly (with Tilton master cylinders)
Adjustable brake bias
Fiberglass rear fenders
Carbon fiber hood
New front spoiler

Before the first session on the track, I discovered one of my wheels
wasn't holding air very well. It held ok for a few practice laps, but
I'll need to reseal it.  The first session was non eventful, but did
notice my clutch was slipping a little.  Made a quick adjustment, and I
was in good shape.  The car felt good, with no real surprises.

During the second session, I decided to push the car a little harder,
and did experience a little rear brake lockup.  So I dialed in a little
more front brake.

During the third session, on the second hot lap, I had a major rear
brake lock up, and spun the car a full 360 degrees, but didn't hit
anything. Dialed in A LOT more front brake, and the brake were good.
Towards the end of the session, I got in a clean 'hot' lap following
behind a very quick F Production Miata, and I beat my all time best lap
at Waterford by 2 seconds.  With a little more time in the car, I'm
sure I could have gone faster, but decided it was a good time to pack
up and head for home.

I have a few minor details to take care of that I discovered during the
day, but it looks like I'll be in good shape for my first SCCA National
race at Grattan Raceway on May 15-16.

I'd like to thank Classic Datsun for their help over the winter in
suppling parts I needed, and also welcome Cin-City Performance as a
sponsor.

Happy Roadstering-

---
Chris Coker