Re: re built engine break in suggestions

To: Ken & Tammy <wilhouse@charter.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re built engine break in suggestions
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
Ken,

I'm not sure you'll find "concensus," but you're right  - there are definitely
two schools of thought.  I've opted for the one both my machine shop and my
brother (a mechanic) have agreed upon since my rebuild last November.  Fill it
with oil (straight 30 weight), prime the engine - using the "remove the
distributor, turn the oil pump (reverse), method.  Replace the distributor and
do a static timing. Remomove the lead form the coil to the distributor to keep
it from starting and crank it for perhaps twenty to thirty seconds.  Replace
the distributor/coil lead, and start it up.  Let it run for thirty minutes once
it is reunning steady (after you've adjusted the idle and timing).  After the
thirty minutes, replace all of the engine oil and filter (straight 30 weight or
10W30).  Run it for approximately 400 to 500 miles varying the speed (RPM's) -
and DO NOT EXCEED 3000 RPM!

After you 400 miles break-in, replace the oil and filter again with your
favorite oil ( for my 2L in this area - St.Louis, I've opted to 10W30).  Drive
it again until you reach 3000 miles and you can increase the RPS's to how you
normally drive.

Now the tricky part, I've discussed using synthetic oil in my car with the
engine rebuild shop, my brother and a personal friend who worked for Amoco in
Wood River, IL doing motor oil testing.  He suggested using Mobil 1 because of
the viscosity and internal bonding charactics of the "oil."  The engine reuild
shop said they could go either way (synthetic or dino), given the car would
probably be well-cared-for (no extremely long intervals bewteen oil changes,
etc.).  However, they all agreed that synthetic oil should not be use until
after the 3000-mile interval. Synthetic oil is simply too slick to allow the
rings to seat properly.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Perry Smith
'68 2000

Ken & Tammy <wilhouse@charter.net> wrote:
Hello listers, I spoke to Pete the other day, and me engine is back in one
piece, the "new" tranny is healthy, and the new header/flex pipe, water pump &
starter (thanks dean) are installed. I should have the car back within a
couple of weeks.
I am sure that break in has been discussed before, but I didn't find anything
in the archives during a quick search. I know that varying the rpm's is
suggested, and I have heard both sides of the gotta treat em gentle vs gotta
give em hell. Is there a general consensus about initial break in? Or a
place to look for some help?
Thanks as always,
Ken Williams
'67 blue 1600