a couple of questions

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: a couple of questions
From: matthew peterson <pete_303@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get my roadster out on the road this summer for the first time in
about three years and am running into a few problems.
First is my starter doesn't want to engage the flywheel and turn over the
engine.  I turn the key and it just whirrrs.  After a few times I can hear it
start to grind into the flywheel gear and then it finally will engage but this
is after I have turned the key 4-5 times.  It's almost like something's stuck
in the starter.
The second is about the temp sender unit.  I have an L20b engine installed and
the sender in the engine won't make the gauge do anything.  If I ground out the
wire going to the sender, the gauge will top out so it must be something with
the sender.  I performed a resistance test to both the L20b and R16 senders.
The R16 sender seemed to work but the L20b's reading just kept jumping around.
I'm assuming that the L20b's sender is bad but I'm wondering if it will run the
gauge correctly if I replace it with a working one.  Or would I need to make
the R16's sender fit.  They seem to be different threads.
If anyone has any insight into either of these I would really appreciate any
enlightenment you could give me.

Thanks much,
Matt Peterson
'68 1600 (w/L20b engine)