electrical problem - help

To: Datsun Roadster <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrical problem - help
From: Bill Schairer <wschaibe@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:19:01 -0700
I have been bump starting for 3 and half months.  Finally got around to
installing another starter.  Was giving my son a driving lesson and he
was having problems starting without stalling but now we had a starter.
  As we are going along after several stalls, we hear a whirring under
the hood.  We stop at a stop sign and he stalls it again.  I tell him
to start it but he says it won't and the whirring continues.  I tell
him to pop the hood, jump out and the starter is whirring away.  He
turns off the ignition but the starter keeps going.  Finally, I yank
the battery cable off.  Key out, any time I reconnect the battery the
starter starts cranking but the engine won't fire.  It was running fine
until all of this started and the car starts very easily ordinarily.
Help me solve this so I can make Solvang with my son.  He just got his
learner's and was so looking forward to it this year.

Thanks,

Bill
San Diego, 1970 1600

PS - Waited an hour for AAA to show up.  Once he got there he hears
over the radio that another tow driver was having some kind of problem
and he said he was going to leave to help the other driver and come
back.  I said I had already been waiting an hour and it would then be
another hour and that is not what I pay my fees for.  He did tow me.
The other driver, with his 12 year old son in the truck, was off
chasing some guy who had thrown a beer bottle at his truck.  I think if
I hadn't insisted on my tow I would still be sitting there.