semi O/T - replacing timing cover seal

To: datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: semi O/T - replacing timing cover seal
From: "ambradley@frontiernet.net" <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:28:41 +0000
My Datsun 411 with J series engine is leaking - a LOT - from the front
timing cover.  I've bought a later rubber front seal and appropriate
timing cover from Nissan but I'm not sure how it's supposed to go
together.  Does the seal go inside the front cover?  There's a
pushed-forward section where I could tap it into place but it doesn't
fit by hand.  Or does it go on some other way?

Also, it looks like the flat side of the seal goes out (toward the
front) - is this correct?  It has an arrow that I believe indicates
direction of travel for the crankshaft.

Anyone care to enlighten me?