RE: Clutch repair

To: "datsun team" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch repair
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:50:24 -0700
The engine and trans have to be removed as a unit. Well, okay, some might
point out that it is possible to pull the engine without pulling the trans,
too, but what would be the point of that? That's harder than pulling them
both.

Check the clutch adjustment by removing the spring between the slave
cylinder and the clutch arm. There should be a small amount of freeplay
between the clutch arm and the rod. I usually set it so that there is just a
little bit of perceptible movement. I don't have an actual measurement that
I use. If there is no freeplay, then the clutch can't engage fully.

If you check it and there is freeplay but the clutch is still slipping, then
it sounds like it is time for a new clutch.