Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion

To: Datsun-Roadsters List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion
From: Mikep <mikep@bikeswap.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:09:14 -0700
Brian,
        I've looked at the FJ20, SR20, and KA24 engines and various swaps and
it seemed like the SR20 was the best choice for couple of reasons. KA24
is out because it busts my desire for no more than stock displacement,
if you're going to go to 2.4 litres why not go to to a Rover AL block
V8. Opens too big a can o' worms and I don't want to throw cubic inches
at the problem. The FJ20 series is an iron block as near as I can
figure (engine weights are close, but AL blocks = more cool factor),
wasn't spec'd in as many models or as long as the SR20 series,
distributor is below the intake manifold (that cool clear dist cap with
the flourescent wires wouldn't be as visible), and it supposedly has
chain tensioning issues. The SR20 and FJ20 are both crossflow DOHC
engines and I would play around with valve cover styling to get the
best look - maybe a metal filled epoxy and grinding to change the
Nissan to Datsun and proper color coordination with other engine
components. The whole project is all about style, fun, and uniqueness -
there are better car combos out there for performance and winning but I
like the roadster best.

Mikep
67.5 1600 on it's way back
Colorado Springs, CO