Retorqueing U20 Heads

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Retorqueing U20 Heads
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:53:49 -0800 (PST)
Hi List!

I have a U20 that was rebuilt by a local shop about 2
years and 1500 miles ago.  I asked the shop about
re-torqueing the head and they said it doesn't need it
- something about new technology bolts and gaskets.
Greg on the list (gregs672liter) and I were talking
about other subjects and the topic of retorqueing came
up, and he recommended sending a query out to the
list. So...

What are your thoughts on retorqueing a U20 head after
a rebuild?

If retorqueing is advised, what is the best method:

1) slightly loosening and retorqueing each bolt, one
at a time?  If so do you start from the center and
working out like the manual shows for torqueing?

2) loosen all the bolts slightly starting in reverse
order from the manual, and then retorqueing from the
center and working out like the manual shows for
torqueing?

I have heard both methods and just want to know what
the list thinks is the best.

Thanks all!

Scott Occhiuto.