Re: Front Disc Brake Cylinders

To: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Front Disc Brake Cylinders
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:55:13 -0800
> Before "getting into" the process of  correcting a minor leak...

Ain't no such thing as a minor leak :-)
Likely, if you have any problem at one cylinder, you've got
problems waiting to happen at all the others :-(. The system
builds up crud in all corners, and then disturbing that crud
causes problems to surface. This is especially true when changing
pads (something my car needs, but I know what'll happen. As
the piston travels outward, the cylinder wall behind it starts
pitting and deteriorating. Then with new pads, the pistons are
pushed back into the now-damaged area, and presto - instant leak.

> I would appreciate the answer to the difference between the
> inner and outer cylinders.

Sure. Quick answer: They're different :-) (read on)

> While "I'm at it", I plan to replace the steel tubing
> at each front wheel

While you're at it, carefully remove the plastic covering. The
original lines will corrode under that protective covering and
fail without prior warning. Been there.

> It is the one which has a "V" shaped seat at the bottom of one
> bore, and what, might be described as a "W" shaped seat, at the
> bottom of the other bore.

The 'V' seat is ISO. That's what the crossover tube screws into.
It's also what the bleeder valve screws into (with a BB in there,
which tends to rust and pit and then refuse to properly seal again.
In other words, plan on replacing that BB any time you bleed the
brakes).

If I recall correctly, the bleeder is on the inside and the flex hose
attaches to the outside (The flex connector is the only 'W' seat).
So assuming I'm correct, the outer cylinder has one 'V' on the
top for the tube, one 'W' on the bottom for the flex line. The inner
cylinder has two 'V''s, lower for the tube and upper for the bleeder.

-- John