Re: More repair questions

To: wilhouse@charter.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More repair questions
From: VulForge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:54:35 EST
In a message dated 2/18/04 10:01:26 PM Central Standard Time,
wilhouse@charter.net writes:

> Can /  should the manifold be repaired or replaced?

Yes.

 And is this easy /> inexpensive (i.e. part available)?

Unless you are a stickler for originality, replace it with a header.  Several
of our vendors stock them.

> Are all shift levers loose?  Should this be a concern? Should this be
> repaired?

There should be some movement of the shifter; it is on rubber bushings.
These can be replaced with aluminum, but will transmit more vibration through
the
stick.  The transmission should shift easily, and with good "feel": this is
after all, a sports car!
You can pretty well count on the mainshaft bearings to be worn out.  A
rebuild now will save breaking gears later on.  Check with Dennis at Classic
Datsun.
 He had some rebuilt units cheaper than my local shop could do the work.

> Can the front spline (sorry prob wrong terminology) of the drive shaft be
> replaced, or just machined so it is smooth and a new trans seal pressed in?
> Do I just start searching for a completely different tranny?

A new rear seal is easy.  I can't see, however, how that would damage the
driveshaft.  I would recommend rebuilding your trans, or finding a rebuilt
unit.
You CAN change to a 5-speed, but it is not easy, requiring a new driveshaft,
transmission mount, and relocating the shifter hole.  BTW, change the clutch,
pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing while you are at it.  Much
easier while the drivetrain is already out!

Good luck!

Russell Criswell

Kansas City MO
67 Datsun 1600 "Liza"