Re: Engine swap for a '68

To: jross@corporatemontage.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine swap for a '68
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:09:28 +0000
Just a follow-up...

About 10 years ago i did swap a L20B into a 1970 1600. It was a tight fit,
but with slight modification to the x-member (even L18/16 would need it
also), the engine fit in. Properly installed...an L18 looks fairly orignal.

As Ron mentioned...Plan for twice the cost and twice the work. Even with
what I thought would be an easy swap...it turned out to be quite a lot of
work.

I'd like to offer up another option...Look for a JDM H20 engine from a 78=82
Nissan urvan, caravan or homer. This engine is a drop into a roadster and is
a nice improvement over the R16. I'm running one in my roadster and it
really has great power off the line.

I spoke to several japanese engine importers and some can still source this
engine.Cost is about $1000.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA
64 SPL310
66 SPL311
67 SRL311

>From: James Ross <jross@corporatemontage.com>
>To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: Engine swap for a '68
>Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:03:21 +0800
>
>Just a note on L series engines
>The L20b (not to be confused with the L20 6 cyl) is quite a bit taller than
>the L16 and L18 and is more difficult to fit into a roadster unless you are
>going for the pro-stock look with a big bug catcher on the bonnet.
>The problem is with the position of the oil pump, and it will interfer with
>something (cant remember with what off the top of my head).
>
>The L20b is not the engine of choice as the cylinder walls are quite a bit
>thinner than the L18's and cant be bored to get a nice square stroke/bore.
>
>I have a CA18DE fitted in my 310, and find it is a pretty good little unit,
>small and easy to fit which cant be said about the sr20 and Fj20 (although
>i'm sure i'll be told different), with ~100hp at the wheels.
>
>Regards,
>James

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.