PVC Valve on a U20

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: PVC Valve on a U20
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:29:40 -0800 (PST)
This is my first - and I'm sure, not last request form the list.  I have a '68
2000(U20) with SU's that at one time had the smog head(?) on it  -air pump,
etc., that had all been removed and plugged when I bought the car a year ago.
So, there are plugs on the intake manifold but welded shut(this comes into play
for my question).  I replaced the carbs with the Z-therapy rebuilds, so I'm
trying to keep them clean.  I recently had a short block done (new rings,
mains, etc.) because of oil starvation (bad oil pump) and I am ready to put the
engine back into the chassis this weekend.  BTW, there is a plugged crankcase
hole on the block as well (this is important as well)

In the Clymers book I have, in the emissions section the U20 has 2-ways of
keeping pollution down.  First, I do have the vent tube leading from the valve
cover to the air filter intake.  Second - and more important, I bought a PCV
valve (listed on the JC Whitney site and at my local Autozone) but there isn't
one installed on the car.

Is the proper place to install this PCV between this plugged hold on the block
(crankcase) and to after the carbs, but on the intake manifold (where one of
these air pump inlet tubes were once installed, but are now plugged)?  In other
words, can I remove one of the welded plugs on the intake manifold(and the plug
on the crankcase) to install the PCV?  Plumbing this thing is not a problem,
but is this the right thing to do, or does it matter?

Thanks in advance!
Perry Smith
'68 2000 SRL31103653