Re: Mike's carbs

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mike's carbs
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:51:04 -0800
Agree completely, datsunmike is right on. Antifreeze/coolant is lousy at
conducting heat. A lot of people think they need lots of it to keep their
engine cool, and end up with the opposite result by using a higher ratio
than water in the mix. I generally run 40percent A/F or lower to 60percent
water or higher, and never have problems even on the hottest of days.

If someone has problems with overheating, try testing with 100percent water
to see if it drastically drops the temperature. That might give a clue that
you're using too much A/F. The primary reason for A/F is to raise the
boiling temperature, as well as to lower the freezing temperature. Water
does all the cooling. If it still overheats, you have other problems.

Could be choked water passages because of casting debris in the water
jackets, and/or crud build-up. Last engine I rebuilt had lots of casting
debris, and is fine now after cleaning it out (especially with a recored
rad). An improperly tuned engine could overheat the engine. One 1600 engine
I had that overheated, had a hairline crack in the block. Secondary reasons
for A/F is for anti-corrosion and to help lubricate the waterpump, so don't
go with just water alone.

Fred - SSF, CA
'66 2L Lucy
'70 1600 Blondie